Monday, April 27, 2009

Great friends, great fun, and a great run

This weekend Jett, Bobby, and I headed to Oklahoma City for the OKC Memorial Marathon. One of my best girlfriends drove up from Dallas to help cheer me on at the race. I am certain that I have the best family, friends, and running buddies that anyone could ask for! I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked, but of course, I was running, Bobby was entertaining Jett, and Jamie was traveling around meeting me at different mile markers to hand off water, Gatorade, etc. It was much easier than I anticipated, and I beat my goal time, woo-hoo! Here are a few pic's from right after the marathon (26.2 miles just in case you weren't sure...I have had several people ask).
This is what kept me going! My boys, and my friend:)



I actually trained with 4 other ladies, but unfortunately I didn't get a group picture. Such a shame since we all looked super cute in our matching hot pink running outfits! They got pic's, so I will try to snag them and post them later. Shout out to Caroline who finished right after me, Roxana who finished right behind Caroline, and Shanna and Jillian who ran the half marathon and beat their goal times as well. Yipee! After the race, Bobby and I took Jett over to the Memorial to visit since I have never seen it completed. It is just beautiful. I almost got choked up just remembering back to that horrible day when the building was bombed several years ago. Here are some pictures that I thought turned out ok. The first picture is of the only surviving tree from the bombing, and also he meeting place for the morning prayer before the Marathon.










As you can tell, we had a busy week and weekend, so hopefully next week I will have a better variety of pictures! Oh yes, and for all of my friends who know how anti-bumper sticker I am.....I finally caved.

Yep! I put a sticker on my car. The mother of one of my friends that I trained with got this for me and I love it! I tried to get rid of the reflection from the flash, but it made a weird smudgy look below the window, however, I was able to blur the license plate pretty well. Gotta love photoshop:)

1 comment:

Amber said...

That is so great you raced and did well! I was born and raised in Shawnee, OK. It is about 30 minutes East from OKC. I was a freshman in High School when the OKC bomb went off, I was sitting in class and we felt the windows shake and a loud sound when it happened. A few years later after they completed the memorial, I ran in the annual race to show my support. I had an uncle who was on his way to the Federal Building when the bomb went off, he was running late that morning, otherwise he would have been inside at the time. So it hits close to home. I apprecaite your support as a fellow Oklahomian!

Great job, beautiful memorial site!
Sorry for the novel :)