Sunday, July 5, 2009

My little firecracker!

I hope everyone had a safe, happy, and fun filled Independence Day weekend! I have always loved the 4th of July, and I have fond memories of getting excited every year about going to the river parks to enjoy the wonderful fireworks display. Although, as we were watching the show Saturday night, Amy and I were discussing how when we were little kids the fire crackers seemed larger than life, and we could remember laying on the grass and feeling like they were going to come right down on top of us. I don't know if it's because we were much smaller, or if it's because they shoot them off at a greater distance, but for some reason for the past several years they don't seem as big and impressive as they once did. Jett, on the other hand, was completely mesmerized by them and made sure to point out what color each one was and which Thomas the Train engine character they matched (for example: "That's a red one like James! That's a green one like Percy! That's a blue one like Thomas!) Before we headed over to the bridge Saturday night, we met up with the Coatney family and had a little play time in the park. Abby and Jett are so funny to watch. Abby is so cautious and little, and Jett is a bull in a China closet dragging her around. I'm thinking now would be a good time for Bobby to start teaching him about being gentle with girls!







I felt bad that my grandma spent the 4th of July alone, as we usually have family in from out of town, so Jett and I headed over there today to pay her a little visit. Jett absolutely loves it there, and had a complete meltdown when we had to leave. At one point I said to him "Bye Bye Jett, mommy is going to go home". On any other day, he would have dropped everything and came running towards me. Not today. He came over, gave me a hug and said "bye bye mommy, I'm gonna stay with Nenal". What?!? I told him that he was making me feel really bad, and my grandma said "you used to do the same thing". Ouch! Man, now I feel bad for making my mom feel unwanted. My grandma is still caring for Jett's duck, and it keeps getting bigger and bigger. I feel bad for the poor duckie because Jett chases it all over the yard and I know it has to get tired and scared.






That's about it for us this week. The only thing exciting around here these days is the continued effort to potty train. I am not convinced that it is time yet, but Bobby is adamant that we should be trying, so I am going along with him! Jett does really well and can go all day without a wet diaper, pull up, or underwear, but only if we take him to the potty every few hours. He hasn't quite mastered the art of telling us when he needs to go on his own. This is certainly my least favorite thing so far about parenthood. If it were up to me, he would be wearing diapers until kindergarten!

1 comment:

Amber said...

How fun! Jett looks so cute with his hair like that, we used to do Kaid's like that but now he keeps it too short, hoping to do that with Trigg's when it gets a bit longer.